Monday, April 25, 2016

物の哀れ

Continuing my talk on Mono No Aware.
"According to mono no aware, a falling or wilting autumn flower is more beautiful than one in full bloom; a fading sound more beautiful than one clearly heard. "

I think this can apply to one of my favorite bands of all time: My Bloody Valentine.

The first time I ever heard of My Bloody Valentine was actually the film "Lost in Translation"
Actually specifically this scene:
I heard the song, and I thought this is one of the most beautiful and unique songs I've ever heard. 
The film came out in 2003, so I wondered, "Man, this song sounds so modern when did it come out?"
To my surprise it came out in 1991!

My Bloody Valentine's sound is very unique. 
It is very heavy, yet very melodic. 
The vocals are almost a faint whisper behind the "wall of sound" of heavy guitar distortion. 
By having the vocals be almost inaudible goes against every tradition of beautiful pop music.
But it is very Mono No Aware:
"a fading sound more beautiful than one clearly heard. "
This describes My Bloody Valentine's sound perfectly. 
Enjoy, the fading, dreamlike sounds of one of my favorite bands My Bloody Valentine:


No comments:

Post a Comment