Thursday, July 2, 2015

Introduction

Hello! My name is Torin. At this point in my life, I haven't done much traveling. I've lived in California my whole life and have never left North America. I always enjoy meeting and getting to know people from various and different backgrounds and cultures, but being confined to this part of the country has limited my experience.  

Currently I am studying Psychology at California State University, Monterey Bay. Primarily why I am interested Psychology comes down to the fact that I love and am interested in people. This is why I am currently studying this subject: with the hopes and intentions that I will eventually be able to help people with therapy, specifically cognitive therapy. 

Starting September of this year, I will be studying abroad in Osaka, Japan for two semesters. There, the focus of my studies will be Japanese language, culture, philosophy and psychology. 

How studying abroad will further my academic and career goals is by, first and foremost, presenting me with the invaluable experience of being fully immersed in a vastly different culture, and this can only create positive personal growth. Committing myself to the unfamiliar is what I aspire to do and I want to challenge myself in a completely new environment.

During my study abroad I want to specifically study the differences between Western ways of thinking and Eastern way of thinking, especially as it applies to cognitive therapy. I would like to examine the Eastern way of thinking at an individual level, and also to look at the social psychology of a society primariy influenced by Eastern philosophies. 

I also desire to learn the language. Essentially I will be starting from ground- zero in terms of the Japanese language, and I want to document and track my learning progress. 

Even if this whole trip is a colossal failure, I want to fail. Because I know it wouldn't be a failure. The true failure would be to not learn from anything, and to remain stagnant and not grow. 

My new years resolution this year was to love unconditionally, and to live without fear.This is, without a doubt, the scariest thing I have ever done. Yet, I do not even entertain any hint of fear in my mind. 

My advice:
Even if you fail, try your best. 
Say yes to opportunity. Say yes to possibility. Say yes to love. 

This is an amazing once in a lifetime opportunity, and instead of saying no to it out of fear of what could go wrong, I am saying yes to what could go right. 
I have saved up money, and am paying for the trip mostly out of loans and educational grants, but I honestly do not have that much money. That is why I started this GoFund me page.
Will you please help fund my adventure?


I will fully document my experiences and my travels in Japan with photos, and I will share my writings with you about what I have learned in terms of the culture. I will also track my progress in learning the language. This is a once in a lifetime experience and I want to fully immerse myself. 

Please help support my dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment